1. In 1987, an Italian porn star was once elected to the Italian Parliament, her name was Cicciolina, she held the position for 5 years and then continued to play in adult films while in office.
2. Pasta is the national dish of Italy, but pizza is even more popular than pasta, this worldwide popular food was invented in Naples around 1860. Oh, don’t forget ice-cream and cheese, they were also invented in Italy.
3. A dog called Rocco discovered a 3.3-pound (1.5kg) white truffle in Tuscany, Italy in 2007, this giant truffle auctioned for $330,000, created a world record.
4. Italians have strong family values, many adult Italians still live with their parents even they are over 30 years old. And Italy has the lowest divorce rate in Europe.
5. The piano, thermometer, espresso machine, eyeglasses, telephone, typewriter, vespa scooter, violin and the cello are all Italian inventions.
6. The Lamborghini, Ferrari, Maserati, Alfa Romeo and Fiat, these exciting names were all born from Italy. Additionally, Italy is the home of fashion, it has the world’s best brands, Gucci, Armani, Prada and Versace are all well-known symbols of Italian design. It is really an attractive place.
7. We have to mention the European Renaissance when we are talking about Italy, it started in Northern Italy in the 14th century, Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo Buonarroti and Raphael were known as the famous three masters of the Renaissance. Florence is considered to be the cradle of art and architecture, 60% of the world’s art treasures are in Italy. Italy has a so brilliant history, it adds infinite fascination to this place.
7. In Renaissance Italy, in order to prevent the spread of the plague, doctors wore a beak-like mask, it looked so strange.
8. Venice is the Europe’s most romantic city, the area around it is one of the wealthiest region in Europe.
9. San Marino and the Vatican are two smallest countries in Europe, and they are all enclaved within Italy.
10. Sardinia is the second largest island in the Mediterranean Sea, only second to Sicily, the Sardinian islands are famous for “witches”, most witches are women, they make health potions for their local people, and they use a secret language which is passed on to their daughters, this sounds very mysterious.
11. Italy is one of the founding members of the European Union and the NATO.
12. The mysterious Shroud of Turin is preserved in the San Giovanni Cathedral in Turin, Italy, it is a piece of linen cloth, 1.1 meters wide and4.36 meters long, thought to have wrapped the body of Jesus Christ. Its authenticity is a mystery, a lot of scientists try to solve it.