Stonehenge, a mysterious old monument built 5000 years ago in Wiltshire, England. Today no one exactly knows why people build them, let’s find some facts about Stonehenge.
1. Stonehenge is the most famous prehistoric monument in Wiltshire, England. It attracts million of tourists visiting it from all over the world every year.
2. The entire structure of Stonehenge is a great circle composed of dozens of standing stones.
3. According to radioactive carbon dating, archaeologists suspected that Stonehenge was built between 3000 BC and 2000 BC. It is believed to be about 5,000 years old.
4. In 2008, archaeologists excavated ancient bones here, archaeologists believed Stonehenge is probably an ancient graveyard. Some people are angry that the bones display at Stonehenge
5. The diameter of the Stonehenge is about 100 feet, it is over 24 feet high.
6. Stonehenge plays an important role in astronomical science. It is a calendar, its main axis is pointing to the direction of the rising sun during the summer solstice. The line of two other stones is pointing to the direction of the sunset during the winter solstice.
7. Stonehenge covers an area of 11 hectares, most stones are blue stones, some of them weigh as much as 50 tons. Can’y imagine how ancient people built it, someone believe that it was built by aliens.
8. Stonehenge was listed as The World Heritage Sites of UNESCO in 1986.
9. On July 12, 2012， American former Olympic champion Michael Johnson came to Stonehenge with the London Olympic Torch. The torch passed through the most famous scenic spot in England.
10. It now appears that the building size and the engineering difficulty of Stonehenge are extremely difficult for early humans, it is known that Stonehenge is hundreds of years older than the oldest Egypt’s pyramid. It’s unbelievable.
Related Video: Secrets of Stonehenge