9. South Africa is the only country in the entire world that has voluntarily abandoned its nuclear weapons programme.
10. South Africa has produced some of the oldest fossils in the world
11. South Africa has the cheapest electricity in the world.
12. South Africa is often called the ‘Rainbow Nation’, because there are so many different languages are spoken and different cultural traditions are lived.
13. South Africa is the only country where a street has produced two Nobel price winners in history— Nelson Mandela and Archbishop Desmond Tutu.
14. South Africa has the most official languages in the world (Guiness World Records), it has 11 official languages.
15. South Africa has the oldest meteor scar in the world, just across the VaalRiver near Parys, called the Vredefort Dome. The meteor plummeted to Earth nearly two billion years ago (Earth is said to be 4,5 billion years old), pre-dating the heady days of oxygen and multi-celled life.
16. South Africa is one of the most dangerous countries in the world, in 2012, 127 people per 100,000 of the population were sexually assaulted.
17. Lastly, after England, South Africa is the only country to have hosted the rugby, cricket and soccer world cups.