1. Since 1804 Haiti has had four national flags.
2. Eighty percent of Haitians live under the poverty line and 54% live in abject poverty. The average per capita income in Haiti is $480 a year, compared to $33,550 in the United States.
3. Decades of violence and instability in Haiti has made it the poorest country in the Americas.
4. Haiti is a very mountainous country and the highest point in Haiti is Pic la Selle, at 2,680 meters (8,793 ft).
5. The indigenous people of Haiti were pre-Columbian Native Americans, who called Taino, “good people.”
6. According to the Haitian culture facts, the Voodoo culture is the best identifying and widely known features of this country which is often associated with sorcery.
7. The life expectancy in Haiti is 50-54 years and adult literacy is only 46%. It is believed that only 1/3rd of the population are estimated to have jobs, common salary is $2.75 a day.
8. Sports like basketball and soccer are popular in Haiti. Haiti was also the first Caribbean team to qualify in the Soccer World Cup finals.