1. Ahmad Shah DURRANI unified the Pashtun tribes and founded Afghanistan in 1747.
2. Poetry plays an important role in Afghans’ culture for centuries. On every Thursday night, people stay together to share verses from old and new poetry in the city Herat.
3. Mobile phone coverage is expected to reach 90% of the country this year, even though the percentage of Afghans with access to electricity is still one of the lowest in the world.
4.Recently, Afghanistan was found rich in natural resources includes natural gas and oil. It was thought poor in resources before.
5. Opium is the fastest and largest growing crop in Afghanistan. Between 80 and 90 per cent of the heroin sold in Europe comes from opium grown in Afghanistan.
6. 99% of the Afghan population is Muslims. The remaining 1% of the population comprises Hindus, Sikhs and Jews.
7. Only 1 in 5 women can read in Afghanistan.
8. Afghan rugs are very popular around the world.