1. Somalia is one of those few African nations with the lowest HIV infection rates. However, almost 35% of children under the age of five in Somalia die every year due to epidemics and dehydration.
2. Somalia is the only country in the world that does not possess a central form of government.
3. Somalia have a glorious history. Somalia has the longest coast in Africa, it is one of the trading and oldest sea-faring nations in the world.
4. The turmoil experienced by the country has led to Somalia becoming one of the poorest countries in the world.
5. Somalia is about the size of Texas.
6. Somalia used to be known as ‘the nation of Poets’. Poetry is a huge part of the culture. It still is, but because of the war the negatives outweigh the positives in the media.
7. Many Somali pirates see themselves as good guys.
8. Somalia has the largest number of refugees in the world.
9. Piracy is now Somalia’s biggest source of income bringing in nearly 200 million annually.
10. Birthdays are not particularly celebrated by Somalians, and it is quite common for people not to know the exact date of their birth.
11. The left hand is considered the dirty and rude hand for daily greeting people , eating and writing. If a child prefer to use left-hand, the parents will actively try to train him to use the right hand. That’s why left-handedness is very rare in Somalia.
Related Video: Captain Phillips Somali Pirates Inside Story 2014